Mr. Martyn K Roper OBE
Martyn Keith Roper is a highly experienced career Diplomat with a successful track record in senior corporate leadership roles across the world. He was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire in June 1965.
Prior to his appointment as Governor of the Cayman Islands, Martyn was Minister and Deputy Head of Mission in Beijing where he was responsible for a network of over 800 people across five diplomatic posts.
His earlier career includes postings to Algeria as the UK Ambassador, Deputy Head of Mission in Brasilia, and First Secretary of Economics and Development with the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in Paris.
Martyn has previous experience working with the British Overseas Territories from his time as Head of the Gibraltar Section at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London when he had specific responsibility for policy concerning law and order, justice, and good governance.
During his time with the United Nations in the early part of the 1990s, his role included the Special Committee on Decolonization (C-24).
He was Vice Consul in Kuwait at the time of the outbreak of the first Gulf War and was made an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2013 on his return to the UK from his posting in Algeria.
Married to Elisabeth he has two children, a son Matthew and a daughter Jessica. He is a keen cyclist and also enjoys tennis and reading in his spare time.
Full career summary including dates:
- July 2015 – Sept 2018 Minister and Deputy Head of Mission Beijing, China
- Dec 2010 – May 2014 British Ambassador to Algeria
- Aug 2007 – Aug 2010 Deputy Head of Mission Brasilia
- Jan 2004 – Dec 2006 Deputy Head of International Organisations Dept, FCO
- Sept 2003 – Dec 2003 Conflict Issues Group, FCO
- July 1999 – Aug 2003 First Secretary Economics/Development UKDEL OECD Paris
- Sept 1996 – Feb 1998 Head of Gibraltar Internal Section, FCO
- Mar 1994 – Aug 1996 UN Department, Political Section
- June 1986 – Dec 1993 Tehran, Maputo, Kuwait/Baghdad, Karachi
- July 1984 – June 1986 Middle East Department, FCO (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen)
Mr. Martyn Roper was appointed as Chairman of the Police Service Commission on 12 February 2021 and served until his term ended in March 2023.